Friday, November 16, 2012

Grounding IN the Big Apple

Inspiration: To continue to stay peaceful, focused and grounded amidst the noise and the chaos.

In the past, I have written how at times living in New York City can really get the best of you. The crowds, the noise, the rushing from here to there...to nowhere. You get my drift. So for me, being a high octane "Aries", it gets to me even more (in my opinion anyway).

Personally, I find it is extremely helpful to have a daily ritual or two to ground, to stay as present as you can. Years ago, teachers of mine said that when I meditate I will be calmer, not thinking this would ever happen consistently in this lifetime. So now I am completely humbled and grateful for this practice which I do every morning before leaving my home.

It has become second nature. Not to say that I am completely "empty" when I meditate, but I sit and surrender and let go. That's what it is all about. This helps to set the tone for the day. Have you ever woke up in a pissy mood and the day just carried on this energy? Probably even escalated? So meditation is key.

My favorite grounding ritual is nature. In the summers I love lying in the grass until sunset, savoring in the beauty and majesty all around me. Now that it is getting colder here, I have gone on pre-sunset nature walks in Riverside Park to empty myself. To let go of whatever I may be carrying that is weighing me down in my mind and heart. I leave feeling refreshed and invigorated!

Whether you reside in a big city or not, grounding in general helps you to stay focused in the midst of whatever is going in your internal and external world. Being grounded or present, also helps you to culivate more patience and acceptance with self and others.

These are just a few examples of what might be helpful. And of course my Heart, my joy; Yoga...What keeps you sane, grounded? Ponder that for a moment and sleep peacefully.:)

With Love, Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment