Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Yogic Challenge

Inspiration: To continue to push, but listen lovingly to the postures my body can entertain in each moment.

On Sundays, I enjoy taking an afternoon yoga class. This gives me enough chill time afterward to unwind into the evening and detox for the coming week. These last couple of weeks, I have ventured down to eclectic Kula Yoga Project in Tribeca. While I am definitely an intermediate plus practitioner, these students put me to shame. Maybe if I practiced five to six days a week I could do a standing side split into a handstand. Then again, maybe not.

It is so important to listen to your body. To really be aware of how much is too much. Many yoga postures can present a challenge to those of us with injuries. It is best to really tune-in to what is appropriate in each moment. Does this make my body feel good, or am I compromising some part of myself; both literally and figuratively.

On a very positive note, I really do enjoy the creativity and flow of their classes. It is more like a dance, with self and spirit while pushing the body to its edge. Thank heavens for the strength I have attained through my gym workouts. For the past three years, I have fine-tuned a regime to assist myself and others to be more centered, grounded and stronger, in class and in daily life.

Just as in Yoga, life is a challenge. Do we move through our days with ease? The stronger our bodies become, the more empowered we are. The more empowered we are, the easier it is to flow.

With Love, Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment