Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Gym vs. Yoga

Inspiration: To continue to "listen" and move the body in an authentic way.

As many of you know, I LOVE Yoga. It provides me with the physical, emotional and spiritual balance I yearn for. After many, many years of beating my body into the ground, I am really listening. There was so much rigidity to what my workouts would look like. On a purely physical, ego level, when I was training "hardcore" 5-6 days a week, I was shredded. Linda Hamilton, Terminator 2. Problem was, I never felt so unhappy and alone in my entire life.

Fast forward some years. While I still continue to train in the gym environment, my yoga practice has taken over my heart and soul. It provides me with ease, openness and compassion; for myself and others. While, I am still in really good shape, I have surrendered the need and desire to look like a hard-body. It was a necessary phase for me to go through so I can understand both the gym fanatic and the yogi.

So, which modality is best? Gym or Yoga. To be quiet honest, the gym provides the necessary conditioning to be strong enough to be present and centered in yoga. As much as I would like to say no to the gym (fight with this one), I still find myself visiting many times a week. Then, when I enter yoga practice, it is like an ecstatic dance between myself and something bigger. It is all about being prepared; just as an athlete trains for their sport.

I invite you all to lovingly take a close look at how you feel. Intense gym workouts create more stress. Stress further debilitates the body on many levels. Yoga provides a sense of stability and calm serene. A combination of the two is AWESOME !!! ... Be present, take deep breaths and listen.:)

Have a very "peaceful" day.

With Love,
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment