Monday, July 19, 2010

Grooving at Jones Beach

Inspiration: To continue to dance, literally and metaphorically, to the beauty that is here and now.

Last night, I had the pleasure of attending my first live concert in over three years. Music and dance are such a deep part of who I am, that has been denied for way too long. When I hear the pulsation of the electric guitar and drums, my heart and soul are one, and I am in sheer ecstasy...

In my earlier days (20's) I went quite often to live venues. At the time my favorites where the Allman Brothers and the Grateful Dead, courtesy of some guys I dated that turned me on to their music. This was an extremely free and raw time. Uninhibited; letting go. Not to say that some of these times I may have had a little "lift" off from some spirits, but have since then relinquished any substance or drink that takes me to a higher ground.

The first agenda was food, since you cannot bring any into the place. The choices were a burger and fries, pizza, chicken tenders, popcorn, pretzels, fried dough and carvel. Not really an opportunity to be concerned about organic eating.:) I decide on the pretzel and water. Have to admit, it was "amazing". For six buck I hope so.

So now we make our way down to our seats. My 70 year old mom and I are sitting 13Th Row Center at Jones Beach. It was a "beautiful" evening, filled with an eclectic mix of young and old. We were here to experience Steve Winwood and Santana, sharing the bill. Awesome !!! Sitting directly in front of us was legendary music honcho Clive Davis. I had a moment of acknowledgment as I looked him straight in the eyes, gave him the head nod that I knew who he was. In turn, he reciprocated with the nod.

The highlights of the evening were Steve Winwood performing onstage with Santana during their rendition of a Marvin Gaye tune. The jam Jingo (an eclectic high energy jam) was at the top of my list. You have to be a fan to understand the pulsation that goes through your body during this song.:-).

Today, I returned to work with added enthusiasm and zest; the result of my soul being touched by these magical musicians. A gentle reminder of the healing power of music. Something that is accessible to us be it live or on our ipods....May you all tune in to what makes your heart soar.

Have a very "peaceful" evening.

With Love,
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment