Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Is a Trainer All-Knowing???

Inspiration: To see another where they are in each moment.

Yesterday, I was working out at Equinox on the Upper West Side. There is a trainer there who I have admired for many years. For her ability to be creative, strong and push people physically. However, on this particular day, I was a bit disturbed.

She was working out with a man, who I know casually; pushing him to the breaking point. He is not one to give up. She proceeded to move him from one exercise to another with minimal to no rest in between. He kept on saying "I am going to puke" and "I cannot breathe." Some fitness professionals might enjoy satisfaction for this but it was really upsetting.

He was disturbing the entire gym with his presence. The famed actor Michael Douglas was in attendance. I wonder what he was thinking.:) All I know is that it is not healthy in any regard to push an individual when they are clearly expressing they cannot breathe.....

The message: Because someone is a "professional" in their field, does not mean you have to go along with their suggestions or recommendations. Question it. Just because you are paying for a type of service does not mean you do not have a say in its unfoldment. Honor yourself by expressing how you feel and sticking by it no matter who is in charge. We control our own destiny (and maybe we do get a little angelic help too).

Have a very "peaceful" day.

With Love, Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment