Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Attention

Inspiration: To focus only upon what I desire.

Attention. Do we really give 100% to what we are experiencing? Do outside influences prevent you from giving your undivided attention?

Here is an example I experienced just this past week. I was lying on the grass in Riverside Park in NYC. This is one of my favorite places to escape to connect with the "quiet" of the city.

On this particular day, I was in my "spot" and about to slip into a blissful state. Then, I happened to hear the sound of a very LOUD lawnmower. I was really agitated. At that moment I had a choice; I could focus on the mower or get back to the blissful state I was falling into. I began to take very deep breaths. With each one the sound of the mover began to fade into oblivion.

The point is: where we focus our attention becomes magnified. It is very easy to shift our focus when there is an annoying sound or situation we may be confronted with. It is also easy to begin to take very deep conscious breaths, releasing in each moment. You will be amazed at how something very, very simple has trans- formative powers. Along time ago, my first teacher asked me "what can you not live without?". I did not have the right answer....The answer was BREATHE. You do not have to be a yogi to realize how essential this is to health and well- being.

So the next time you are "knocked off" center, remember this.:)

Have a very "peaceful" day.

Warmly, Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment