Friday, June 11, 2010

Inflexibility of a Runner and Yoga

Inspiration: To continue to let the body speak in an authentic way.

Our physique. We work so hard to maintain a level of fitness, at times pushing our bodies too far. Over time there is a cumulative effect on just how much we can endure. Truth be told, we can endure much, but what I am referring to here is what the body requires. Flexibility is an essential component of any well-rounded regimen.

It is always an experience for me in yoga class. Yesterday, I ventured downtown after a day of parading around NYC training various clients. I was in search of some me time, with a class that nurtured my body and soul. There is a lovely teacher named Stephanie who teaches at Kula Yoga in Tribeca. She is quite intuitive and reads the energy of the students in the room. On a purely physical level, this was not a challenging practice. But on a soul level, I was breathing, stretching and connecting, which is really what yoga is all about.

Before class, I started a conversation with a woman sitting near me. We spoke about yoga, teachers and fitness. She was an avid runner, usually "pounding out" six miles daily. She appeared to look in great shape and was just beginning her yoga practice. I asked her how often she practices and her reply was 5-6 times a week. So here she is running almost daily and practicing often. Problem is, she will probably never really make any significant gains. Why? Because running is such a debilitating activity. I know. I was one of these people. (But not everyday; at least I knew that).

Running creates added stress to the body. It creates poor posture and structural imbalances. It closes off the heart chakra, our feeling center; located in the center of the chest. I shared with this woman, my own journey of how yoga helped me to release the compulsion to run. While she took this in and was curious, one could see she was unable to release the power of this sport. During class, I happened to look over (supposed to be present, but I am human). Her lack of spinal mobility, tight hamstrings and closed heart, reinforced what I know to be true.

So with this, I release any judgment and allow others to be who are. With compassion, I will continue to hold a space for those individuals I meet and work with. The question is: Are you listening and moving authentically? Is there flexibility in your body and mind? Yoga provides us with an opportunity to experience all of this. Be still. Listen. Breathe deeply. Move authentically.

Have a very "peaceful" day.

With Love,
Denise

2 comments:

  1. LOVELY article... as you know, I still run, and train for marathons. Mostly on dirt trails/ roads, but my yoga comes first. I am authentically cultivating balance. Alas, thank you for your beautiful reminder D!
    Much love,
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Larry. For taking the time to really honor yourself in all ways. I wish you much peace and ease. Happy trails and YOGA.

    With Love,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete