Thursday, July 23, 2009

Yoga-Based Intention Training

Inspiration: To honor my body and what it feels like doing.


Being a gym "rat" since my early twenties, I was never interested in flexibility. I used to poke fun of those who would stretch on the mats for a long period of time. It was cardio, weights, more cardio for me. I used to run long races with extremely "tight" hamstrings and thought this was normal. Each stride literally was painful. That was until 2003 after I found myself with a broken pinky toe. I could not run so I finally knew I must take a yoga class. I had no excuses. My training regimen was "off".

The first class I took in 1996. At this time, I was not ready to experience what would be a large part of who I presently am. So here it is seven years later. I was hooked after this one class. I felt a surge of energy go through my body during final relaxation or "corpse" pose. I knew this was something that was going to transform me.:)

Presently, the focus of my work is how to increase flexibility; both mine and the clients who I work with. Along with those aspiring to improve their yoga practice. I have developed a unique system to achieve this. It is called Yoga-based Intention Training. Intention; being mindful and present in the body. This is coupled with the breathe. Through the correct inhalation and exhalation we "flow" through the exercises;without force or rushing.

No machines are used. All exercises are in free space, with the exception of the standard lat pull down which is a "staple" for building strength for downward facing dog. Combinations of bosu balancing, core work and cables are weaved throughout. Free weights are also a large part of the regimen. Sessions end with a series of yoga postures to bring the body into a state of equilibrium. This is followed by a period of relaxation. This truly is a different kind of training "experience".

For more information on sessions and offerings, please contact me at dbrandi@earthlink.net or 917-902-2061.

Have a very "peaceful" day.
Namaste,
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment