Monday, November 22, 2010

Being In MY Head During Yoga Class

Inspiration: To continue to be mindful of my thoughts during yoga class and in daily living.

As many of you know who have found this site, I love yoga. I love yoga because it helps me to creatively connect with the breathe and the body relationship. It helps me to "tune" in to what I am feeling in each moment. Some moments are more joyful than others, as with all of life.

As I am both a teacher of fitness and yoga, many gym practitioners have told me that it is difficult for them to be still and pay attention. In other words, to not let their minds drift. In conversations, I have told them this is completely normal and regardless of where the mind may be, the healing and energetic benefits are there. Yes, it is more easeful to be in the moment and enjoy what you are experiencing.  But if the mind drifts, just notice, take and breath and accept where you are.

This particular experience happened to me in class yesterday. I was downtown practicing at Kula Yoga with Ariel Karass. If you want a completely authentic and ZEN experience, you should definitely check out his classes. Anyway, during class yesterday, my mind was wandering all over the place. I had to go to the bathroom and was wondering when a more vigorous standing series would take place and so on.

My mind was controlling the experience. Yes, I did have to go to the bathroom and did "sneak" out. :-) But Ariel knows what he is doing. This class was very purposeful and sequenced accordingly. Who was I to get in the way with my ego's desire to perform warrior one and half-moon poses. So I lovingly decided to embrace what was in front of me, challenges (and challenging poses) and all. I listened when my body told me to hold back, due to numerous injuries. I left feeling at total peace.

That is one of the beautiful benefits of a yoga practice. It helps you to listen.  The mind wanders. Watch it. Take a breath. Be still.:-)

Have a very "peaceful" evening.

Namaste, Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment