Friday, October 8, 2010

You Just Never Know....

Inspiration: To allow room to learn the truth about an individual without judgments.

Yesterday, while working with a client at a private gym, I commented on a beautiful bracelet another trainer was wearing. For some reason it just stood out and spoke to me. It was a handmade, sterling silver wing wrapped in leather.

Shortly after, I inquired as to where he got it. After sharing the details, he told me this replaced the bracelet that Lance Armstrong ripped off his wrist after meeting him. (Guess Lance liked what he was wearing.) Anyway, this led to a conversation that I would have never expected in a million years.

As it turned out, this day represented five years since he had been cancer free. He had Hodgkin's lymphoma. This type of cancer is a cancer of the lymphatic system, which is part of the immune system. Mind you, the guy is a perfect looking specimen. He was a professional ironman competitor, placing in the top ten prior to this diagnosis. Before this particular moment, I had my own; "judgments" about him. Good-looking, cocky, successful and a bit arrogant. Not my energy.

But after this conversation, I was completely humbled. Tears were beginning to fall as I was continuing to work with my client. My heart was burst wide open. Another level of softening judgment. The level of compassion I felt go way beyond words. On some level, he obviously felt a need to share this, maybe unconsciously, with people he did not know very well. In any event, it was a true gift. We both saw one another differently for the first time.

Many us assume the worst, or possibly resent others for their success, looks or their seemingly "perfect" life. We never really do know what is going on or what someone has been through. Life is filled with many challenges. At one point or another, there comes a time where we are tested. How we rise to the occasion is totally up to us.

So I lovingly invite you to embrace each and every situation and person you may come in contact with. To look beyond the surface and be open to the possibilities that may exist.

Have a very "peaceful" day.

With Love,
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment